Outstandingly delicious, fork-tender sweet potatoes baked with perfectly seasoned ground beef, a light red pepper sauce, herbs, and spices.
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped, (about one small onion)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper, or to taste
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, or meat of choice
- ½ tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp Turkish red pepper paste
- 1 tbsp Turkish tomato paste, or use what you can find
- 1 tsp dried mint, or 10 mint leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
Cook the sweet potatoes
- Cook the sweet potatoes in any of the methods mentioned above. Set aside to cool.
Cook the meat
- When ready, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle in oil, add the onions, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions have softened. Next add the garlic, oregano, and cumin. Stir-fry until aromatic, about 10 seconds.
- Then add the ground meat, more salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat has browned and little crispy bits develop on the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add the red pepper paste, and tomato paste. Stir-fry until meat is coated in the pastes. Then, add the mint, parsley, dill, and 3 tbsp of water. Mix until the ingredients are well incorporated. Cook for 10 minutes, long enough to allow the flavors to develop.
Make the tomato sauce
- In a mixing bowl, add the water, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Mix until a sauce forms. Set aside. Skip this step if you are using premade tomato sauce.
Putting it all together
- Pour the tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. This will ensure the potatoes do not get dried out. Finally, slice the sweet potatoes in half and place each one in a baking dish. Top each potato with the meat mixture and bake in the oven at 425°F uncovered for 15 minutes—long enough for the meat to brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a serving plate or else they may fall apart.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop and Baked
- Cuisine: Turkish-American
Keywords: baked sweet potatoes, baked sweet potato recipe, gluten-free sweet potatoes