Dear Eggplant. Sometimes, I get sooo excited to cook you–thinking that somehow you’ve changed, but then I serve you to my family and all you do is turn out like a bitter sponge.
That’s ok, cuz I figured you out!
You guys there is a secret method to making eggplant taste delicious every time. It requires three secret methods– time, salt, and lots of fat (the truth hurts, I know), but trust me!
The truth is that eggplant needs to be treated like a chunk of
3 Tips When Cooking Eggplant
1.) Time: When baking the eggplant, it can take a minimum of 30 minutes before the eggplant becomes nice and tender and loses its sponge(y) texture. So no
2.) Salt: It may seem excessive, but rub a generous amount of salt all over the flesh (inside and out) and set aside. What this does is it removes a lot of the bitter water locked inside. and helps the eggplant to become tender.
3.) Fat: When eggplant absorbs fat like olive oil, it also makes the flesh tender and delicious. My mouth is watering …
Now that we know the secret to
I made a delicious Smokey Roasted Eggplant that is encrusted with lots of fragrant herbs.
This recipe pairs perfectly with my Masala-Spiced Meatballs.Print
- 6 eggplants (small and slender)
- a lot of salt
The Roasting Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried mint
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- a generous squeeze of lemon or lime (can substitute for 1/2 tsp of vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 400 °Fahrenheit
- Slice the eggplants down the center creating two halves.
- Generously rub salt all over each eggplant and set aside for 20 minutes. This will allow all the bitter liquid to come out.
- Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
- Slice the eggplant making a crisscross design (optional, but highly recommended).
- Place the eggplant on a baking pan leaving 1/2 inch of space between them (you may need 2 pans).
- Generously paint the herbed oil into the creases of the crisscross parts of the eggplant.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes depending on the strength of your oven.
Tips: Don’t forget to treat the eggplant like meat. Every 15 minutes, brush on mored herbed oil. This will definitely make the eggplant tender and delicious.
Optional: sprinkle crumbly fetta cheese and fresh springs of cilantro. Enjoy!
I enjoyed my eggplant with a sunny-side-up egg. It was so yum and keto-friendly!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mediterranean