Gluten-free. Low-fat. Delicious
You are going to love this Mediterranean Buckwheat Salad. It’s tossed in a pomegranate salad dressing with aromatic herbs of fresh mint and cilantro.
What are Buckwheats?
Buckwheat is an indigenous ingredient from Russia. It’s usually thought of as cereal, but its actually an herb of the genus Fagopyrum family. The seed is triangular in shape and can be turned into buckwheat flour.
What are Buckwheat Groats?
It is hulled, crushed kernels, that can replace rice. Kasha is roasted buckwheat groats, it has a toastier, nuttier flavor.
If you cannot find Kasha at your local grocery store, you can simply toast the groats yourself over a pan with butter.
Craving Something Sweet? Try This Cashew Flour Chocolate Chip Pecan Donuts
Different Vegetables to Consider:
› grilled zucchini
› grilled zucchini
Pretty much any sturdy vegetable.
Different Herbs to Consider:
if it smells good, throw it in 🙂.
Why Does This Recipe Work?
For two reasons.
One, it’s the perfect lunch to bring to college or work. No microwave necessary.
Two, it’s loaded with vitamins from all the raw cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs and it’s loaded with fiber to help stay focused and satiated until dinner.
Also, the longer it sits in the fridge the better it’s going to get ;).
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later!
Also Try These Naturally-Sweetened Frozen Yogurt Berry Bars
Pomegranate Salad Dressing
If you don’t have pomegranate molasses in your cupboard, you are truly missing out. It is so sweet and tangy— I just love it! Plus, we all run out of lemons every once in a while, yet we still have to put a salad together for dinner.
That is when I reach into the cupboard for a teaspoon or so of pomegranate molasses. It’s a sour and tart replacement if you do not have lemons on demand. However, if you have both in your possession, use both!Print
Mediterranean Buckwheat Salad (vegan)
Gluten-Free. Low-Fat. Delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Salad, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
To Cook the Groats
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Persian cucumbers sliced into thin circles
- 4 small radish
- 1/2 small red onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Cook the Buckwheat groats
- In a saucepan, bring groats and water to a boil. Add salt and cover pot with a lid.
- Turn heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes (just like rice).
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Once the buckwheat has cooled, transfer to a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
Make the pomegranate dressing
- In a mixing bowl add the oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint, cilantro, salt and pepper, and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour over the cooled buckwheat and gently toss to coat.
Putting in all together
- Toss in all the chopped vegetables and mix to combine. Garnish with additional herbs and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.