The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Simple Arugula Salad recipe is lemony and bright with shavings of salty parmesan strips tossed over a bed of peppery arugula. Even though there are not many veggies in it, you can still impress any guest with its elegant look, or shall we say (its posh yet simple look) with a sure to impress parmesan dressing.
When I told Ali (my hubby) that I had an arugula salad to go alongside dinner tonight, like always, he was excited to eat something fresh. when I served it to him and there were no sliced red tomatoes or squares of fetta cheese, he wasn’t so sure ( a little inside joke).
However, when he took his first bite, he said “Mmmmmm, wow, this is delicious”. 🙂
What’s the secret to having the best Simple Arugula Salad?
The secret to having the best arugula salad that is epic and tasty enough to hold its ground without veggies is the dressing! It contains buttery olive oil, tart lemons, and salty, freshly grated, Parmigiano Reggiano.
How to Make the Best Simple Arugula Salad?
First, wash and dry the arugula and any other additional lettuces using a salad spinner. I used a premade mix of arugula and baby spinach that was prewashed and ready to go. Stay away from larger leaves as they tend to be less tender.
Next, make the dressing. Add equal parts olive oil, and lemon juice, the zest of the lemon, freshly grated parmesan cheese, sweetener of choice like maple syrup. Finally, salt and pepper. Mix well until a homogenized dressing forms.
Are you ready to make a delicious epic Arugula salad? Let’s get started.
- 2 cups packed Arugula
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
FOR THE DRESSING
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese not the pre-grated stuff
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash and thoroughly dry the arugula and baby spinach (I like to use a salad spinner for this step). Add into a large glass bowl.
MAKE THE DRESSING
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly grated parmesan cheese, maple syrup, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix very well until a creamy homogenized dressing is formed.
- Drizzle as much of the dressing you would like over the greens and give it a gentle toss with a pair of tongs being careful not to smash or bruise any leaves.
- Garnish with thin-sliced Parmesan strips created using a vegetable peeler.
- Serve with any main dish and enjoy right away.