Gluten-free & Baked Until Golden Brown
Mediterranean Zucchini Roll-Ups are deliciously stuffed with meat and spices like za’atar, dried mint, and smokey paprika. It’s then doused in seasoned tomamtoe sauce and drizzled with cheese and baked to perfection.Print
each serving is 4 roll-ups
- 1 lb ground beef ((15/85 percentage of fat.))
- 3 zucchini, sliced into thick rectangular strips
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp za'atar spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- 4–5 cloves peeled garlic (( you will throw this into the blender))
- 1/2 red onion (( you will throw this into the blender))
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour, quinoa flour, chickpea flour, or regular flour
- 1 cup seasoned tomato sauce ((plain tomato sauce seasoned with salt and pepper))
- 1/2 cup any melty type cheese ((this recipe uses a Mexican blend))
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F
- Cut the zucchinis with a potato peeler to create long rectangular strips and set aside.
- Add the onion and the garlic (along with 2 tbsp of water or so to help the blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the spices, salt & pepper, onion/garlic puree, ground beef, and flour of choice and mix with your hand until the spices and meat are well incorporated.
- Lay the thick zucchini rectangles flat and add the meat mixture and pat the meat all throuput the zucchini. Roll the zucchini and meat up into a roll-up shape (see video)
- In a baking dish, smear seasoned tomato sauce on the bottom. Add each roll up to the bottom. 4 should go across and 4 should go down. ( this recipe makes 12 mini roll-ups.)
- Top each roll-up with tomato sauce, cheese, and red peppers.
- Bake covered with foil for 15-minutes and bake uncovered for an additional 15-minutes.
Note: When slicing the zuchini with a potato peeler, some slices may not come out as perfect as you want it. It’s perectly normal. Just pick out the most sturdy pieces and you will be fine.
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Mediterranean