The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Get your taste buds tingling with this Spicy Buckwheat Salad with colorful veggies. It’s perfect for a healthy lunch or a side dish.
This recipe costs approximately $8.67 to make. The recipe makes six servings for about $1.44 per serving.
Undoubtedly, this spicy buckwheat salad is tasty and versatile. It is free of oil and gluten and offers dairy-free alternatives. The salad incorporates chewy bulgar that’s cooked with roasted sweet corn, forming the base of a delightful dish.
With a tangy lime flavor, a smoky touch from chili powder, and a perfectly creamy texture from cashews, the dressing is a delightful balance of flavors.
The thought of making a dressing without oil may seem daunting, but fear not – it’s simpler than you think! The key to achieving a creamy texture is to soak the cashews correctly.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 1 cup buckwheat oats – $2.80
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.06
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn – $0.42
- ½ bunch cilantro – $0.24
- ½ cup purple cabbage – $0.18
- 2 green onions – $0.14
- 1 large jalapeno – $0.20
- 1 red pepper – $1.24
- ⅓ cup dairy-free crumbled feta cheese – $1.75
- ⅔ cup boiling water – $0.00
- ⅓ cup raw cashews unsalted – $1.28
- 1 lime – $0.25
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup – $0.09
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in April 2023.
How To Make Buckwheat Salad
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, cook the Buckwheat groats.
- Then, add the groats, roasted corn, water, kosher salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Cook for ten minutes on the rice setting.
- Next, add the boiling hot water and cashews to a high-speed blender and put the lid on. All it to sit for ten minutes.
- Then, add the juice of the lime, chili powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, and salt and blend until smooth.
- Add more water or more cashews as needed.
- Release the pressure from the Instant Pot, and then place the groats and corn in a large mixing bowl.
- After the groats and corn have cooled, add in the cilantro, purple cabbage, green onion, jalapenos, and red bell pepper. Toss the ingredients together.
- Finally, toss the dressing with the ingredients until fully coated and garnish with additional slices of jalapeno, and feta cheese.
- You can use any color of sweet bell pepper you have on hand.
- You can use parsley instead of cilantro.
- Omit the feta cheese entirely, or use dairy-free feta instead.
- Use lemon instead of lime if necessary.
SERVE: You can keep the salad out for no longer than two hours before it needs to be stored and refrigerated.
STORE: Place the Buckwheat Salad in an airtight container and store it for 3-4 days.
FREEZE: This salad does not freeze and defrost well, so I do not recommend freezing it.
Buckwheat is a plant cultivated for its grain-like seeds. Buckwheat is gluten-free. While its name suggests otherwise, it is unrelated to wheat since it is not grass. Instead, it is related to rhubarb. Buckwheat is nutritious with protein, minerals, and B vitamins.
One easy way to cook buckwheat is to treat it like rice. Add the buckwheat groats and salt to the instant pot, push the rice button, and cook for 10 minutes.
Buckwheat has a stronger taste than rice which is nutty and slightly bitter. It can be substituted for rice in most recipes and is more nutritious.
Tips For Making Chili Lime Dressing
- The thought of making a dressing without oil may seem daunting, but fear not – it’s simpler than you think! The key to achieving a creamy texture is to soak the cashews.
- Sometimes, I do not have the time or forget to soak the cashews overnight. That’s ok. I have a special tip. If you soak the cashews in boiling water and set them aside for at least 10 minutes, this can speed up the process and still achieve that creamy consistency we seek.
- I usually let the cashews soak in the blender with a lid before adding additional ingredients.
- Fall Spinach Salad
- Gluten-Free Pasta Salad with Artichoke
- Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
- Best Simple Arugula Salad Recipe with Parmesan Dressing
- Easy Caprese Salad Recipe with Spinach
Love it? Save the recipe for later!
- 1 cup buckwheat oats
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn strained
- Pepper to taste
- ½ bunch cilantro (about ⅓ cup chopped)
- ½ cup finely chopped purple cabbage
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper bell pepper (about 1 ½ cup, finely chopped)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
CHILI LIME DRESSING
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup Raw cashews unsalted
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
COOK BUCKWHEAT GROATS:
- Add the groats, roasted corn, water (or vegetable broth), kosher salt, and pepper to the instant pot.
- Push the rice button or cook for 10 minutes. While that’s cooking, let’s make the chili lime dressing.
MAKE CHILI LIME DRESSING:
- Add the boiling water and cashews to a high-speed blender. Put the lid on. Allow the cashews to soak for 10 minutes.
- When ready, pop open that lid and add the juice of the lime, chili powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until a smooth and creamy dressing forms.
- Add a little more hot water if the sauce is too thick. Or, add more soaked cashews if the sauce is too thin.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Open the nozzle to the instant pot to release all of the pressure that it has accumulated.
- Transfer the groats and corn to a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the cilantro, purple cabbage, green onion, jalapenos, and red bell pepper, and toss generously to combine all ingredients.
- Add the creamy-dreamy chili lime dressing and toss until all ingredients are fully coated.
- Garnish with additional slices of jalapeno and feta.