A pico that is worthy enough to dip your chips into and top your tacos with. This pico de gallo recipe is without cilantro, and it still has flavor from the special ingredients that I put in, garlic and just enough cumin.
Enjoy this recipe for just $3.47. It makes 12 servings for just $0.29 per serving.
Whip up a batch of this Simple Guacamole to serve alongside this Pico de Gallo.
Pico de Gallo is a favorite Mexican tomato dip perfect for dipping chips or smothering over your favorite Mexican dish.
You can use heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes for this epic appetizer. Feel free to use what you have on hand.
Every time I make a fresh pico de gallo, it never lasts long. But, every once in a while, I may have just enough to top my eggs with the next morning.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $3.47
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.29
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes – $2.46
- 1 serrano pepper – $0.32
- 1 garlic clove – $0.05
- ½ cup red onion – $0.48
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice – $0.14
- ¼ teaspoon cumin – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.01
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, add chopped serrano pepper, minced garlic, diced red onion, lime juice, cumin, and kosher salt to a bowl and mix.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes to a strainer to drain. Combine all ingredients.
- Finally, allow it to chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Dice the ingredients uniformly. I like to dice my onions and tomatoes into square-size shapes. It doesn’t have to be perfect. The goal is to have an equal amount of each into one bite.
- Strain the tomatoes. Tomatoes vary in juiciness. One thing that I like to do is to put all of the tomatoes over a strainer of some sort to drain the excess liquid. This will result in a pico de gallo that is chunky and less “soupy.”
- Use ripe tomatoes. My favorite tomatoes besides beefsteak are the vine-ripe and Roma.
- Marinate the lime juice, onion, serrano (or jalapeno), and salt while chopping the tomatoes. For one, this will help dissolve the salt, and two, make the onions less pungent.
- Instead of serrano pepper, you can use jalapeno pepper.
SERVE: You can keep this at room temperature for 2 hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
STORE: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
FREEZE: Drain the pico de gallo well, so there are no juices. Place it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and freeze for up to three months.
Not only did I eat my homemade pico with chips, but I also topped a crunchy tostada smeared with mashed pinto beans, Mexican blend cheese, and an avocado. So yummy!
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
Both have very similar ingredients. However, salsa typically has a thinner consistency while pico de gallo is chunky.
The literal Spanish translation is “beak of rooster.” Many believe the name originated from people first eating it by pinching it between the thumb and finger. This made the shape of a rooster’s beak. My translation means delicious!
- Roasted Dill Potatoes with Greek Yogurt Sauce
- Easy Mexican Salsa
- Creamy Zucchini Hummus
- Smokey Roasted Eggplant Dip
- Marinated Goat Cheese with Basil and Olives
Are you new to home cooking? Visit 30 Terms Every Home Cook Should Learn.
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes medium dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 large serrano roughly chopped (remove the seeds and stems for less heat)
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ½ cup red onion small dice
- 2 limes 2 tbsp of juice
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp kosher salt not iodized
- In a large bowl, add the roughly chopped serrano pepper, minced garlic, diced red onion, lime juice, cumin, and kosher salt. Mix to incorporate. While the ingredients are marinating, dice the tomatoes.
- Add the diced tomatoes over a strainer (of some sort) to help drain off excess liquid. When ready, add it to the rest of the ingredients. Give a toss and place it into the forge and allow it to chill for 30- minutes before serving.
- If you are absolutely too eager and cannot wait, feel free to enjoy right away.