Amazing and aromatic thick Chipotle Chimichurri herb sauce that can be dipped into or marinated with meats and veggies.
What is chimichurri?
Generally, Chimichurri is a thick sauce filled that’s filled with herbs, olive oil, an acid like vinegar, parsley, oregano, and spicy ingredients like cayenne pepper. It’s known to be Argentina’s ketchup and is a must on grilled meats.
I added a modern twist by using smoked jalapeno (chipotle peppers in adobe) and swapped vinegar for citrusy limes. Two words—Bomb-diggity!
How to make chimichurri?
You are going to love how easy it is to make.
- Prep the herbs by washing and drying them well. Add leaves and tender stems to a food processor along with all the other ingredients.
- When ready, process all of the ingredients until the desired chunky consistency is met.
- Enjoy right away, marinate meat and veggies with this delicious chimichurri sauce, or store it in an air-tight container for up to five days.
Is this chimichurri sauce spicy?
I find that chimichurri has a mild spice flavor. This sauce is completely customizable. Make it really spicy or not spicy at all. For this recipe, there are chipotle peppers, which makes it not only spicy but smoky as well.
There is no hierarchy nor direct oder in which these ingredients are listed.
|Fresh Herbs||We will be using fresh cilantro and parsley. Both work well together. The parsley adds a nice fresh flare but does not over-power that lively pungent taste that cilantro has to offer.|
|Onions & Garlic||Both will add an immense amount of flavor and aroma.|
|Limes||The zest of one lime and the juice of two limes. Don’t forget, always zest before you juice!|
|Chipotle Peppers in Adobo||This recipe has a kick with just one pepper + the adobo sauce. However, if you are hankering for lots of spice, add two!|
|Other Essential Ingredients||Like oregano, olive oil, honey (to balance out the flavor), kosher salt, and coarse black pepper.|
It’s as easy as throwing all of the ingredients into the blender and processing, my friends!
More Delicious Recipes
- Best Picadillo Recipe
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Healthy Tortilla Recipe (vegan)
- Best Ever Pico De Gallo (No Cilantro) With Tips!
Read the recipe from start to finish. You will better understand the flow of the recipe and identify any unfamiliar words or methods.
Shop for the ingredients beforehand. When you shop ahead, you are less likely to swap out ingredients for what you don’t have, thus creating a complete recipe fail!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, tender stems, and leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, tender stems, and leaves
- ½ small white onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 limes juice of, one of the limes you will zest
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients into a food processor.
- Process until a thick and chunky desired consistency is met—about 30 seconds.
- Taste the chimichurri. Adjust seasoning (adding more salt etc.)
- Consume right away or store in an air-tight container for up to five days.