The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Gluten Free Waffle Recipe is also dairy-free and naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and flavored with cinnamon. Make a bunch and enjoy them right away or freeze them for later.
This recipe costs about $3.68 to make. It makes five servings for approximately $0.74 per serving.
These Gluten-Free Waffles are perfect for lazy weekends, busy mornings on the go, or brunch with family and friends. They are the perfect texture because they are fluffy and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Cook the batter in your waffle iron and you will have delicious tasting waffles that are not soggy! In fact, the crispy pockets are perfect for catching all that syrup you will drizzle on top.
You can make these waffles ahead of time and freeze them for later. There is nothing better than keeping my pajamas on and whipping out these already made waffles from the freezer for my kiddos to enjoy before school. Easy peasy.
You may think making waffles from scratch is difficult, but it really is simple. Once you try it you will realize you can skip out on buying the Gluten-Free Waffle Mix and make it at home instead.
Table of Contents
Gluten-Free Waffles Ingredients You Will Need
|Make sure you have large eggs.
|It adds a nice smokey flavor.
|I used alcohol-free vanilla.
|It will give these waffles additional sweetness and a wonderful aroma.
|Use unsweetened almond milk or any unsweetened milk of choice.
|I used King Arthur gluten-free Measure for Measure Flour.
|Other essential ingredients
|Like kosher salt and baking powder
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 2 large eggs – $0.20
- ½ cup coconut sugar – $0.96
- 1 teaspoon vanilla – $0.31
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk – $0.32
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.01
- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour – $1.26
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon – $0.04
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder – $0.06
- ¼ cup coconut sugar – $0.52
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Gluten Free Waffle Recipe
- First, preheat your waffle maker.
- Next, whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl, and then add the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond milk, and kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time. Mix and fold until a thick batter forms. Let the batter rest for ten minutes.
- Next, add the batter to the waffle maker and sprinkle coconut sugar and cinnamon on top of the batter before closing the lid.
- Finally, cook according to the waffle maker’s directions and repeat with the remaining batter before serving.
Tips for Making Healthy Gluten-free Waffles
Have your kitchen tools on deck. It’s helpful to have a whisk to help incorporate the wet ingredients. In addition, a measuring cup to ensure each waffle will yield the same size.
Separate the wet from the dry ingredients. Always start with two large bowls. Again, one for the wet ingredients and one for the dry ingredients. Always add the dry ingredients to the wet a little at a time, folding and mixing until finished.
Allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes. While the batter rests, the starch cells will start to absorb the liquid, thus creating a thicker consistency.
Serve: Serve with dairy-free butter like coconut butter to keep these dairy-free and maple syrup. You can keep these out for about two hours before they need to be stored in the refrigerator.
Store: Place the waffles in a zipper-top bag and store them in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How to Freeze:
You can freeze this Gluten Free Waffle Recipe, just follow the instructions below.
- While making waffles, avoid stacking them over each other. Instead, lay each one on a baking sheet. Allow cooling completely.
- When ready, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer. This will ensure each waffle is frozen correctly before adding the waffles to the same bag.
- If you put the waffles directly into a bag and in the freezer without freezing them flat on a baking sheet, they will all stick together. Eventually, you will find yourself cutting them apart with a knife. Nobody has time for that!
These Gluten-Free waffles are made with just a few ingredients. Those ingredients include eggs, coconut sugar, almond milk, salt, gluten-free flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
Pancakes and waffles are made using similar ingredients. However, the amounts are different so I would not recommend following this recipe if you are wanting to make pancakes.
A waffle iron is my preference for using when making waffles. Nothing else quite compares. However, you can use a waffle mold or a skillet to make your waffles if you do not have a waffle maker. They will not turn out as good as using a waffle iron but you can do it if needed.
More Gluten-Free Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Homemade Coconut Butter
- Almond Joy Chia Pudding
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins with Orange
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- Rosemary Yogurt Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla I used alcohol-free
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- ¼ tsp kosher salt or a pinch
- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour blend I used King Arthur's
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your waffle maker. Have two mixing bowls ready.
PREPARE WET INGREDIENTS:
- In one of the mixing bowls, add the eggs. Whisk to break the yolks.
- Next, add the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond milk, and kosher salt. Mix until dark homogenized liquid forms, and set aside.
PREPARE DRY INGREDIENTS:
- In the other mixing bowl, add the gluten-free flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Whisk the dry ingredients until well combined.
MIX THE WAFFLE BATTER:
- Add the dry ingredients in with the wet a little at a time. Mix and fold until a thick batter forms.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Dollop the batter into the waffle maker and sprinkle the coconut and cinnamon mixture on top of the batter right before closing the lid.
- Cook according to your waffle maker's time frame.
- Enjoy while hot or freeze for later.