Naturally-Sweetened. Made Vegan.
The Best Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies can be made entirely gluten-free, dairy-free, and is naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup and decadent dates. I made these cookies for a go-to fast suhoor breakfast.
I trust eating these cookies for suhoor because of the fiber of the oats. Let’s not forget the extra protein from the cashew flour and pecans. So yum!
Here are different nuts to consider instead of pecans (though pecans are my favorite 🙂 :
Different Sweets to Add-in:
ºChopped dried fruit like mango or apricots.
ºFresh fruit like a diced apple or you can try adding a vegetable like shredded carrots.
Have fun, get inspired, use your favorite foods.
How do you make vegan cookies from scratch?
Once you can get a good base down, like a good flour (though all flour is vegan), I look for flour with benefits. Whether that be a naturally gluten-free oat flour, quinoa flour or even banana flour are all great choices.
Next, add dates or maple syrup, both give great earthy flavor and dates specifically help the cookie to form a sturdy shape.
NO eggs? No problem. Use flax seeds by simply adding 1 tsp of flax seeds to 2 tsp of water. Or use a banana. In this recipe, the dates and oat flour is the key to giving these cookies their shape and flavor.
Feel free to use non-dairy chocolate chips or chocolate chips of choice.Print
makes 8 cookies or 12 mini cookies
- 2 cups rolled oats ((1 of the cups will be used to make the oat flour))
- 1 cup cashew flour (( I have not tested this recipe with any other flour, if you choose to do so, let me know how it worked out))
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 pitted dates
- 1/3 cup almond milk ((can use any non-dairy milk))
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips + more for decorating
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ((optional))
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil ((this is optional. Sometimes this can help the coconut butter loosen up if it is too condensed.))
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a food processor add the 1 cup of oats and the cashew flour until the oat/cashew flour mix is formed. (see video)
- Next, add the maple syrup, coconut butter & oil (if using), dates, almond milk, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Process again until a cookie dough-like batter forms.
- Finally, toss in the pecans and chocolate chips. Process just enough to mix everything together.
- Transfer about a tablespoon or so of the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press the dough into a cookie shape. These cookies do not rise too much and do not expand much. The shape you make it will be the shape it will be.
- Top/decorate the cookies with extra pecans and chocolate chips and bake in the oven set at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy once the cookies have completely cooled.
- Note: There is no need to bake the cookies longer than 10-15 minutes as everything in the cookie can already be eaten raw. Bake just until the cookies are firm to the touch.
- Coconut butter can sometimes solidify making it hard to pour. You can simply add the coconut butter straight into the blender. Otherwise, what I did was, in a small bowl, I added the coconut butter with a tablespoon of coconut oil and microwaved it for a few seconds–just enough to melt everything together, then I poured it directly to the food processor.
- The cookies are best served at room temperature.
- They can be stored in a cookie jar or Ziploc bag on the countertop for up to 3 days.
- Best eaten with company 🙂
- Category: vegan desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan gluten free cookies