The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Nestle your hands around a hot bowl of this Creamy Pumpkin Lentil Soup. It’s a healthy and delicious soup perfect for cozying on up during fall and winter.
It costs $10.86 to make this soup. It makes four servings for just $2.72 per serving.
This soup is everything you want soup to be. It is hearty, creamy, and full of warm Fall flavors. In addition, the soup is incredibly easy to make, healthy, and inexpensive. It is a win-win all the way around.
This healthy pumpkin soup recipe is made with fresh pumpkin, red lentils, and the perfect creaminess without the cream! That’s right, and this velvety soup is vegan. Let’s talk about the ingredients you will need. ♡
First, let me say what inspired me to make this recipe. My family is a blend of Turkish and American heritages. With that being said, I have made countless amounts of Turkish lentil soup. And well, since I am American, why not add some pumpkin to it?
Brilliant idea? I know it. 😌 Ok, moving on. Here is what you need to make this Turkish-inspired creamy pumpkin lentil soup.
Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
|Garlic & Onion||Soft, caramelized onion and aromatic garlic will help build a nice flavorful base.|
|Red lentils||Cook up real quick and is really creamy once blended.|
|Sugar Pumpkin||Seeds removed and baked until fork tender. Roasted sugar pumpkin adds a great rich flavor to this soup.|
|Red pepper paste||I love using Turkish red pepper paste. It’s always in my fridge. Feel free to use any red pepper paste you can find!|
|Vegetable broth||Adds a slow-cooked taste, fast!|
|other essential ingredients||Like olive oil, coriander, salt, and pepper.|
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $10.86
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.72
- 3 cups roasted pumpkin – $2.48
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil – $0.08
- 1 cup onion – $0.62
- 3 cloves garlic – $0.30
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.02
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon coriander $0.09
- 1 Tablespoon red peppe paste – $0.42
- 1 cup red lentils – $5.49
- 4 cups vegetable broth – $1.33
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, clean the pumpkin and remove the seeds. Rub the inside out with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Set each pumpkin on a baking sheet. Bake for thirty minutes
- Make the soup and cook for thirty minutes.
- Add the roasted pumpkin to the soup and blend together with an immersion blender.
- Finally, blend until smooth and enjoy.
SERVE: You can leave the soup out for about two hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
STORE: Place the soup in a storage container and store it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZE: Once the soup has cooled, place it in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 2-4 hours.
RE-HEAT: Place the Pumpkin Lentil Soup in a saucepan and warm over medium heat until heated through.
No worries. This recipe is very forgiving. Use what you have, and this pumpkin soup will still taste amazing.
You can make this soup creamy in a couple of different ways.
Use an immersion blender. This is a very practical and effective way. Dive into the same pot with this tool. The soup will be creamy but still hold a hearty consistency.
Transfer the ingredients to a high-speed blender. This can be tricky, but if you have a Vita-Mix and follow the recipe exactly, all of the soup will fit into the blender. It’s to the top, but it will all fit. Blend until smooth and creamy. The longer you blend, the creamier it will be.
Serve with Pepitas ( pumpkin seeds ) on top, perhaps a wedge of lemon, fresh sprigs of thyme leaves, and a little sprinkle of chili flakes.
Lentils do not need to soak before placing them in the soup. Red lentils are soft and will soften to become a smooth texture as they cook.
Absolutely! Lentils are a healthy protein and full of vitamins.
More Soups and Stews
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Cannellini Beans
- Nourishing Herby Farro Soup with Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Turkish White Bean Stew
- Chicken Soup with Quinoa
Read the recipe from start to finish. You will better understand the flow of the recipe and identify any unfamiliar words or methods.
Shop for the ingredients beforehand. When you shop ahead, you are less likely to swap out ingredients for what you don’t have, thus creating a complete recipe fail!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
FOR ROASTING THE PUMPKIN:
- 1 small sugar pumpkin after roasting you'll have 3 cups
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch coarse black pepper
FOR THE SOUP BASE:
- lemon wedges optional
- red pepper flakes optional
- pumpkin seeds optional
ROAST THE PUMPKIN:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Clean and remove the seeds from inside the sugar pumpkin.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper all over the pumpkin and rub the inside out to ensure that it is fully coated in seasoning.
- Place each pumpkin piece flat side down on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake at 400 °F for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Set aside.
MAKE THE SOUP BASE:
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute, until the onions have softened and have browned around the edges.
- Next, add the coriander, stir-fry until completely coated in the onions. Then, add the red pepper paste, and red lentils. Stir-fry until the lentils are fully coated with the red pepper paste.
- Finally, add the vegetable broth, and water. Stir and mix to incorporate. Put the lid to the pot on and turn the stove to high until a boil is reached. Once reached, reduce to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the lentils are nice and soft, add the roasted pumpkin.
- Blend all of the ingredients with an immersion blender or transfer the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy or until desired constancy is met.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon, chili flakes, and pumpkin seeds (all optional).