The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is dairy-free and undeniably creamy while being vegan! It’s the perfect comfort food for Fall.
This Pumpkin Pasta makes six servings for just $5.19. That works out to be about $0.87 per serving.
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Ingredients
|Pumpkin||This recipe calls for canned pumpkin. If you choose to use fresh pumpkin, make sure to puree it until it is smooth and creamy and resembles canned pumpkin.|
|Roma tomatoes||These flavorful egg-shaped tomatoes yield the perfect sweetness after roasting.|
|Cashews||It will essentially be the ingredient that acts as the cream. To turn these nuts into a creamy consistency, they must be soaked for at least an hour. Overnight is best.|
|Garlic||Provide a deep rich flavor we all love.|
|Onion||When roasted, onions not only add flavor but sweetness as well.|
|Nondairy milk||You may use any unflavored, unsweetened milk of choice.|
|Herbs and Spices||There is dried oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.|
We will roast the tomatoes, garlic, and onions until they are soft and charred. Roasting is going to add a rich depth of flavor without adding any dairy or meat products.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $5.19
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.87
- 1 cup raw cashews – $2.48
- 4 Roma tomatoes – $1.04
- 3 cloves of garlic – $0.30
- 1 small onion – $0.62
- 1 cup pumpkin puree – $0.50
- ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored, non-dairy milk – $0.16
- 1 teaspoon oregano – $0.05
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.02
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper – $0.02
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
You are going to love how easy it is to make this pasta sauce.
- First, soak the cashews for at least one hour.
- Next, roast the onion, garlic, and tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Bake until nice and charred.
- Then, add the charred veggies to the high-speed blender along with soaked cashews, pumpkin puree, and spices.
- Finally, blend until a smooth and creamy sauce forms. Pour over pasta.
See, I told you it was easy. The hardest part is wondering which type of pasta to pour it over. I chose gluten-free brown rice fusilli.
- Are you looking for that traditional pumpkin/ fall taste? Add a pinch of pumpkin spice.
- Try adding this pumpkin sauce to a pizza (instead of classic marinara), or use it in a healthy veggie lasagna.
SERVE: You shouldn’t leave this pasta out for longer than 2 hours.
STORE: Store the remaining sauce in a jar with a lid for up to 3 days. When reheating, As the sauce cools, it will start to dry out and thicken. That’s ok. Add a little bit of nondairy milk to the pan. Stir and mix until heated and creamy.
FREEZE: Place the sauce in a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1-2 months.
DEFROST: Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature or 3-4 hours. The cause may become separated, and if it does, blend it for 1-2 minutes before reheating.
REHEAT: Place the sauce in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until warmed through, about 5-8 minutes.
Let’s say you wanted to change things up a bit. Try adding this pumpkin sauce to a pizza (instead of classic marinara), or use it in a healthy veggie lasagna. The options are endless! I recommend serving a simple salad alongside this Pumpkin Pasta.
How do I make good pasta?
1.) Use a large pot that holds lots of water.
2.) Make sure the water comes to a rolling boil, not a simmer.
3.) Season the water with plenty of salt. That is the chance to season the pasta.
4.) Stir right after the pasta is dumped into the water.
5.) Remove once the pasta is al dente–make sure the pasta is not mushy (usually 10 minutes of cook time).
6.) Drain well, and serve immediately.
The Best Noodles to Eat with Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Rigatoni — a tube-shaped pasta that varies in length. A bit larger than penne.
Fettuccine — a thick flat pasta that is long and ribbon-like.
Ravioli — stuffed with anything would taste excellent with this sauce.
Fusilli— also known as rotini, is a corkscrew-shaped pasta that nicely holds the sauce into every nook and cranny. That’s the pasta I chose (gluten-free).
The options are endless. Go on a food adventure and try a new pasta shape!
Read the recipe from start to finish. You will better understand the flow of the recipe and identify any unfamiliar words or methods.
Shop for the ingredients beforehand. When you shop ahead, you are less likely to swap out ingredients for what you don’t have, thus creating a complete recipe fail!
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Creamy Pumpkin Lentil Soup
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake Balls
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
FOR THE PUMPKIN SAUCE:
- 1 cup raw cashews that’s been soaked overnight
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsweetened unflavored, non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
OTHER AND OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound Your favorite type of pasta
- Fresh sprigs of time to garnish
- Soak the cashews in water (make sure they are fully submerged in water) for a minimum of one hour, but overnight is best. The longer you soak them, the creamier the sauce will be.
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 400°F.
- Add the tomatoes, onion (cut in half, peeled, and placed flat side down), and garlic (with the peel on) to a baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper all over the veggies and toss with your hands to ensure the olive oil and seasonings fully coat the veggies.
- Roast the veggies for 30 minutes. Then, set the oven to a low broil and broil for 2 minutes, just long enough to blacken the skin on the outside.
MAKE PUMPKIN SAUCE:
- Add the pumpkin puree, soaked cashews, roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, non-dairy milk, oregano, salt, and pepper to the blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce is nice and creamy.
- Once blended, taste to adjust the seasoning. Adding additional salt if needed.
- Pour over a bed of hot pasta. Toss until fully coated, then sprinkle on fresh leaves of thyme (optional).