The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Sweet and savory pumpkin that’s baked to perfection. Baked Pumpkin is perfect for pies, soups, baked goods, or a side dish.
This recipe costs around $2.98 to make. The recipe makes four servings for about $0.74 per serving.
This Baked Pumpkin recipe provides a healthy side dish with warm seasonal comfort. The recipe takes just ten minutes to prep and about twenty minutes to cook.
The natural sweetness of the pumpkin is enhanced during the baking process, giving you a delicious side dish full of essential vitamins and nutrients. This easy-to-make dish gives you everything you need and more. Plus, you only need four ingredients to make it!
What You’ll Love About This Baked Pumpkin Recipe:
- Healthy Option: Pumpkin is full of vitamins and nutrients, making it a healthy and nutritious option with a naturally sweet flavor.
- Versatile: Baked Pumpkin can be used in a variety of ways. Top a salad with it, add it to soups, serve it as a side dish, or use it to make pumpkin puree.
- Gluten-Free and Vegan: Pumpkin is an excellent option for those with a specific diet.
- Fall Classic: You will get your seasonal pumpkin fix with this Baked Pumpkin recipe.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 1 small pumpkin – $2.68
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.22
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – $0.05
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in October 2023.
How To Bake Pumpkin
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, slice the pumpkin in half.
- Clean out the seeds.
- Set the pumpkin on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, followed by the salt and pepper.
- Flip the pumpkin over so it is cut side down, and bake for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Finally, cool for twenty to thirty minutes and scoop out the pumpkin.
Roasted Pumpkin Recipe Variations
- Black pepper: you can omit the pepper if you use the puree in a sweet dish like pie or bread.
- Additional seasoning options: brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- Serve baked pumpkin warm or cold.
- Eat it on its own, or use it as an ingredient in other dishes, such as pies, soups, and muffins.
- When serving baked pumpkin, you can top it with your favorite toppings, such as butter, maple syrup, honey, or cinnamon.
- Store roasted pumpkin in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To freeze baked pumpkin, scoop it into a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Label the bag or container with the date and contents.
- To thaw, place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- You can also thaw it at room temperature for a few hours.
- To reheat baked pumpkin, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated.
- You can also reheat baked pumpkin in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until heated.
Baked Pumpkin Recipe FAQs
You will bake this pumpkin at 350 degrees F. It should take twenty to thirty minutes, which may vary slightly as each oven heats differently.
I recommend cutting the pumpkin in half before baking it. This will help it get soft more quickly and more evenly.
Use a fork to test the pumpkin to see if it is soft. Once the fork goes in easily, the pumpkin is done cooking.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake Balls
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins with Orange
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Creamy Pumpkin Lentil Soup
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Cannellini Beans
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- Mashed Pumpkin
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Love it? Save the recipe for later!
- 1 small pumpkin sugar pumpkin is best
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional **see notes
PREP OVEN AND COOKIE SHEET:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice the pumpkin in half and clean out the seeds.
- Place the pumpkin on the cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Flip the pumpkin over so it’s cut side down.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft with a fork (flip to cut side to test), depending on size of pumpkin.
COOL AND FINISH:
- Cool for 20-30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out pumpkin