The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This fantastic Mediterranean Lamb Stew recipe is filled with tender chunks of boneless lamb, fire-roasted tomatoes, spices, and aromatic herbs like mint and parsley. It’s perfect for cold, cozy nights.
It costs approximately $28.06 to make this Mediterranean Lamb Stew. The recipe makes six servings for about $4.67 per serving.
For more Mediterranean-inspired dishes, try my Mediterranean Egg Sandwich and Mediterranean Marinated Tomatoes.
Move over beef; there is a new star in town that helps take stew to a new level. This Mediterranean Lamb Stew is full of nutritious, hearty, bold flavors that are perfect for a cold night. In addition, the stew is made in one pot, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Mediterranean Lamb Stew is a rich stew full of warm spices and tender lamb. The flavors complement each other nicely, creating a comforting meal any time of the year. This lamb stew is amazing with a squirt of lemon juice right at the end.
Ingredients To Make Mediterranean Lamb Stew
|Boneless Lamb Stew Meat||This recipe calls for 2 pounds of lamb. I used grass-fed, halal lamb from Open Nature.|
|Onion & Garlic||They will help to build amazing flavor and aroma.|
|Cumin||Has a nice meaty flavor and pairs perfectly with red meat.|
|Roasted Tomatoes||Unlike regular tomatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes are going to give it a nice smoky flavor. However, if you are unable to find fire-roasted, use what you can find.|
|Vegetable Broth||Instead of adding water, vegetable broth is going to add the cooked-all-day flavor we are looking for.|
|Other Essential Ingredients||Olive oil, fresh mint, parsley, kosher salt, and pepper.|
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil – $0.22
- 2 pounds grass-fed boneless lamb stew meat – $21.96
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt – $0.04
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper – $0.02
- 1 cup onion – $0.62
- 6 cloves garlic – $0.24
- 2 teaspoons cumin – $0.06
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes – $1.24
- 4 cups vegetable broth – $2.03
- ⅓ cup mint – $0.75
- 1 cup parsley – $0.88
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in November 2022.
How To Make Lamb Stew
- First, add olive oil, lamb, salt, and pepper to a pot and cook over medium-high heat until the meat has browned.
- Next, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for about fifteen seconds.
- Add in the cumin and fry for another fifteen seconds.
- Then, pour in the fire-roasted tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Mix in he parsley and mint and partially cover the pot with a lid. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Lower the temperature to low and simmer for sixty minutes.
- Finally, garnish with chopped mint, parsley, and a wedge of lemon.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Serve: Serving this soup with lemon wedges is optional, but the acid helps brighten the stew’s flavors. You can keep the stew out for about two hours before it needs to be stored and refrigerated.
Store: Store the stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freeze: Once cooled, place the lamb stew in a freezer-safe container or zipper-top bag and freeze for up to three months.
Defrost: Defrost at room temperature for 4-5 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Reheat: Place the stew in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until warm.
The shoulder is the best cut of meat to use for stew. Slice it into cubes to add to the stew. Otherwise, purchase grass-fed boneless lamb stew meat.
I prefer the flavors of vegetable broth to go with this lamb stew. However, you could substitute another broth if you do not have vegetable broth.
More Paleo Recipes
- Easy Baked Chicken and Zucchini
- Thai Red Curry
- Best Picadillo Recipe
- Pollo Asado
- Creamy Tomato and Carrot Soup
- Amazing Baked Harissa Chicken Wings
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds grass-fed boneless lamb stew meat
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 cup onion chopped about 1 onion
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth about 32 oz or 1 pint
- ⅓ cup finely chopped mint
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley about 1 parsley bunch
- lemon wedges optional
- In a pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil, lamb, salt, and pepper. Stir-fry until the meat has browned and caramelized.
- Next, lower the heat to medium. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onions have softened.
- Then, add the cumin. Fry until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- When ready, deglaze the pan with fire-roasted tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Garnish with extra chopped mint, parsley, and a wedge of lemon.
- Mix in the parsley and mint. Partially cover the pot with a lid. Bring to a boil.
- Once a boil is reached, lower to a gentle simmer and continue to cook for 60 minutes or until the lamb is fork-tender.
- Ladle and serve with lemon wedges (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @PoshPlateRecipes on Instagram for more!
Comments & Reviews
Such delicious comfort food! I enjoyed this so much. Thank you for the awesome recipe!
TAYLER ROSS says
I made this lamb stew for dinner last night and my family loved it! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
I never made lamb before, but it is a fave of my boyfriend. He loved this.
Yum, this stew looks amazing! Will be great served with some roasted veggies.
This flavor packed stew looks and sounds amazing! Can’t wait to dig in to a big bowl of this deliciousness.