The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Baked Chicken and Zucchini Recipe is easy to make, and everything is baked perfectly in a casserole dish. It’s the ultimate easy dinner for a hungry family.
It costs approximately $5.90 to make this dish. The recipe makes four servings for around $1.48 per serving.
I’ve been making this Easy Baked Chicken and Zucchini recipe on repeat because it’s just so tasty and practical! All one has to do is chop up the ingredients, add it to a big bowl, add the seasonings, a little olive oil, give it all a toss—and viola! Ready for the oven.
This Chicken and Zucchini Bake is a family-friendly dish that is perfect all summer long when zucchinis are in season and plentiful. It is a healthy low-carb dinner option. It comes together quickly with simple spices in a marinade that produces juicy and tender chicken after it is baked to perfection.
Ingredients to Make Baked Chicken and Zucchini
|Chicken Breast||Boneless, skinless chicken, and about one pound of it.|
|Onion||Feel free to use red, white, or yellow onion. Use what you have on hand.|
|Zucchini||Though the recipe calls for one zucchini, sometimes I like to add an extra whole zucchini if I make it just for grown-ups.|
|Olive oil||Olive oil adds a lovely buttery texture and flavor. Feel free to use avocado oil instead.|
|Spices||Spices like cumin, oregano, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper season this dish perfectly.|
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast – $3.83
- 1 medium onion – $0.62
- 1 zucchini – $0.65
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil – $0.16
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika – $0.43
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano – $0.10
- 1 teaspoon cumin – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon sea salt – $0.04
- ¼ teaspoon pepper – $0.01
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Baked Chicken and Zucchini
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Then, mix the spices, salt, pepper, and olive oil using a large bowl.
- Next, toss the chicken, onion, and zucchini with the marinade until fully coated.
- Place everything into a baking dish and bake for thirty minutes.
- Finally, serve over quinoa or rice.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Feel free to add additional veggies to the dish, such as corn, summer squash, sweet bell peppers, peas, carrots, and cauliflower.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: This dish is best served hot over quinoa or rice.
STORE: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place the cooled chicken and zucchini recipe in a freeze-safe container. Freeze for 2-3 months.
DEFROST: Defrost at room temperature for 3-4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
REHEAT: Reheat in a 350-degree F oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
For a Whole30-approved meal, serve this dish with fluffy quinoa. On the other hand, buttery rice or a nice fresh salad will also work.
This time around, I served this dish with jasmine basmati rice. It was spectacular!
Cover leftovers with a lid or foil and place them in the fridge for up to three days.
Chicken is done cooking when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Therefore, making this Easy Baked Chicken and Zucchini recipe will take about thirty minutes in the oven at 425 degrees F.
While metal does heat up faster than glass, I prefer glass when making a chicken dish like this and metal when baking desserts.
The marinade is key to this recipe as it soaks into the chicken and keeps it from drying out while it is cooking. You can marinate the chicken for up to twenty-four hours before baking it.
More Chicken and Poultry Recipes
- Ginger Chicken Skewers
- Gluten-Free Chicken Meatballs
- Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
- Greek Chicken with Lemon and Feta
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Vegetables
- Amazing Baked Harissa Chicken Wings
Read the recipe from start to finish. You will better understand the flow of the recipe and identify any unfamiliar words or methods.
Shop for the ingredients beforehand. When you shop ahead, you are less likely to swap out ingredients for what you don’t have, thus creating a complete recipe fail. But I know you are going to do great!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 1 pound boneless skinless, chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium-size onion chopped into large pieces similar to the size as the chicken
- 1 zucchini sliced vertically into four large pieces, then chopped into smaller pieces.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt or salt to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly milled pepper or pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- In a large bowl, add all of the spices, salt, and pepper. Then, add the olive oil and mix everything until a “marinade” forms.
- When ready, add the cut-up chicken, onion, and zucchini to the marinade. Next, give a toss to fully incorporate the ingredients with the seasonings. You may marinate this for up to 24 hours.
- Transfer the chicken and veggies to a baking dish and bake it in the oven uncovered at 425°F for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy while hot and serve with fluffy quinoa or buttery rice.