It’s vibrant with marathon pumpkin seed bread, arugula, and thinly sliced crunchy red bell peppers.
It has the perfect amount of saltiness from the herby feta and hummus–it truly is The Best Mediterranean Egg Sandwich. You are going to want to make it again and again. Let’s make an egg sandwich!
How to Make the Best Best Mediterranean Egg Sandwich
Step 1–cook the egg.
By adding a little olive oil or butter to the pan, helps the egg not to stick to the pan and adds another layer of flavor. Don’t forget to season your eggs with coarse sea salt.
Step 2–make the herb feta smear/spread.
Dried oregano and mint pair perfectly with creamy, salty feta cheese.
Step 3–toast the bread.
I used a bread called marathon bread. It is encrusted with lots of pumpkin seeds.
Step 4–smear on the hummus.
I used roasted red pepper hummus, but feel free to use what you have on hand.
Step 5–add the arugula.
If you don’r have arugula, feel free to use baby spinach or romaine lettuce.
Step 6–add the egg.
I prefer to have my egg served over-medium with the yolk slightly runny. Cook your egg exactly the way you like it.
Step 7–add cucumbers.
Use english, persian, or seeded cucumbers. I like to remove some of the skin on the outside of the cucumber–leaving strips of green still left on.
Step 8–add the bell peppers.
Slice the bell peppers as thin as you can into long strips. This will help them not to fall off the sandwich. Use any color bell pepper you like.
Step 9–top with avocado.
Step 10–smear the herb feta on the last slice of toasted bread.
Last step–top and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 2 slices of toasted bread
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 handful arugula
- 1 egg
- 6 thinly sliced cucumbers
- ¼ bell pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp herb feta spread
COOK THE EGG
- To make an over-medium egg, first heat a skillet of medium heat. Once heated, add a drizzle of olive oil and crack 1-2 eggs (depending on how hungry you are) and cook on each side for about 1-2 minutes. I like my yolk a little runny. If you do not like a runny yolk, continue to cook your egg for about 3 minutes on each side. Now let’s toast the bread.
TOAST THE BREAD
- Place two slices of bread in your toaster to toast.
- On a plate or in a bowl, add about 1/3 cup of double cream or soft feta Bulgarian or Turkish cheese. Do not use dried Greek cheese, it will not work.
- Add dried oregano and dried mint to the cheese and mix until a smooth and creamy spread forms.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- First, smear the first slice of bread with hummus.
- Second, add arugula.
- Third, top the arugula with the egg(s).
- Fourth, top the egg(s) with thinly sliced cucumber.
- Fifth, top the cucumber with thinly sliced bell pepper.
- Sixth, top the bell pepper with creamy avocado.
- Finally, smear the last toasted bread with the feat spread and top the sandwich and take a huge bite! Enjoy!