The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Mediterranean Egg Sandwich has the perfect amount of saltiness from the herby feta and hummus. It’s easy to make, and you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
This recipe makes one sandwich and costs about $2.66 to make.
You may also enjoy these Easy Baked Breakfast Potatoes or these Gluten-Free Waffles in addition to this Mediterranean Egg Sandwich.
This veggie-packed sandwich is the perfect way to start your day. It is a heart-healthy, high-protein way to start your day. You can skip the drive-through or forget going to a restaurant and make this Mediterranean Egg Sandwich at home instead.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 2 slices of bread – $0.50
- 1 Tablespoon hummus – $0.20
- 1 handful arugula – $0.35
- 1 egg – $0.10
- 6 cucumber slices – $0.58
- ¼ bell pepper – $0.15
- ½ avocado – $0.50
- 1 Tablespoon herb feta spread – $0.28
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make A Breakfast Sandwich
- First, heat oil on a skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg on the skillet and cook it on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, toast two slices of bread in the toaster.
- Then, mix the feta spread in a small bowl.
- Spread hummus over the first slice of bread and top with the arugula, egg, cucumbers, bell pepper, and avocado.
- Finally, smooth the feta spread over the second piece of bread and place it on top of the sandwich before eating.
***For complete recipe details and for a recipe video, see the recipe card below.
- Instead of slices of bread, you can use a split bagel croissant or a pita pocket.
- Instead of arugula, you can use spinach.
- This recipe doubles, triples, quadruples, etc., well.
SERVE: Serve/enjoy this sandwich right away.
STORE: This recipe doesn’t keep well. It’s best to eat it within an hour or two of making it.
FREEZE: This Mediterranean Egg Sandwich does not freeze well. ThereDon’t I do nDon’tggest freezing it.
Traditionally, a Mediterranean breakfast consists of toasted bread, soft cheese, vegetables, and eggs. It is not uncommon to have fresh fruit served on the side. It is the perfect way to start the day, in my opinion.
Cooking the egg to the right consistency is key. I like my yolk a little runny, so I cook it for about 1-2 minutes per side. If you do not like your yolk runny, then I recommend cooking it for about three minutes per side.
My other tip for making the best egg sandwich is choosing the cheese. A soft feta Bulgarian or Turkish cheese is perfect. I do not recommend using dried Greek cheese, as it will not create a smooth and creamy texture to spread on the toast.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 2 slices of toasted bread
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 handful arugula
- 1 egg
- 6 thinly sliced cucumbers
- ¼ bell pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp herb feta spread
COOK THE EGG
- To make an over-medium egg, first heat a skillet of medium heat. Once heated, add a drizzle of olive oil and crack 1-2 eggs (depending on how hungry you are) and cook on each side for about 1-2 minutes. I like my yolk a little runny. If you do not like a runny yolk, continue to cook your egg for about 3 minutes on each side. Now let’s toast the bread.
TOAST THE BREAD
- Place two slices of bread in your toaster to toast.
- On a plate or in a bowl, add about 1/3 cup of double cream or soft feta Bulgarian or Turkish cheese. Do not use dried Greek cheese, it will not work.
- Add dried oregano and dried mint to the cheese and mix until a smooth and creamy spread forms.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- First, smear the first slice of bread with hummus.
- Second, add arugula.
- Third, top the arugula with the egg(s).
- Fourth, top the egg(s) with thinly sliced cucumber.
- Fifth, top the cucumber with thinly sliced bell pepper.
- Sixth, top the bell pepper with creamy avocado.
- Finally, smear the last toasted bread with the feta spread and top the sandwich and take a huge bite! Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @PoshPlateRecipes on Instagram for more!
Comments & Reviews
We just got back from the Mediterranean and are missing it! Such a great idea to pack these flavors into a simple sandwich for lunch!
Thank you so much! The flavors are perfect and I can’t wait to try this recipe!
Big fan of all food Mediterranean flavored. This egg sandwich is no exception. It looks amazing!
This egg sandwich is so fresh and delicious! It was the perfect lunch for me today.
OMG flavors were so good, perfect morning start to the day. Will make again!