The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Vegan sweet potato casserole is a delicious, satisfying, plant-based twist on a classic side dish. Make it with marshmallow or a crumbled pecan topping.
It costs approximately $11.53 to make this Sweet Potato Casserole. The recipe makes six servings and costs around $1.92 per serving.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
If you are looking for a versatile vegan side dish to serve a crowd, this recipe is for you. My recipe has two different options for making the dish to suit your needs. You can make it with a marshmallow or pecan crumble topping.
Your friends and family will be surprised to know this is a vegan dish! The casserole can be made beforehand, making it easier to focus on other tasks. Serve this Vegan Sweet Potato recipe for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other gathering, and wow your family and guests with this irresistible casserole.
What You’ll Love About Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Healthier Option: This Sweet Potato Casserole is Vegan, making it a healthier alternative to other sweet potato recipes.
- Versatile Recipe: The recipe directions provide two different options for toppings. One is a marshmallow topping, creating a sweet and gooey topping, while the other is a crunchy pecan topping.
- Simple Preparation: You will find the step-by-step directions to be simple and straightforward.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes – $3.99
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil – $0.48
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce – $0.11
- ¼ cup oat milk, unsweetened – $0.16
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper – $0.07
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.03
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon – $0.04
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg – $0.28
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar – $0.01
- 5 ounces vegan marshmallows – $2.49
- ⅓ + 1/2 cup chopped pecans – $2.84
- ¾ cup almond flour – $0.28
- ½ cup coconut sugar – $0.14
- ⅓ cup liquid coconut oil – $0.60
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in October 2023.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole:
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Next, boil the sweet potatoes until tender, for about eight to ten minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and set them back in the pot.
- Add coconut oil, apple sauce, oat milk, black pepper, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sugar.
- Mash until all chunks of sweet potato are gone, and then spoon the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for twenty-five to thirty minutes and then remove from the oven.
- To do the marshmallow topping, preheat the broiler and then layer the marshmallows on top of the casserole.
- Place the dish in the oven and broil until the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top before serving.
- To make the pecan crumble topping, spoon the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish.
- Make the pecan topping in a small bowl by mixing the pecans, flour, sugar, and oil until a crumble forms.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the sweet potato mixture and bake for twenty-five to thirty minutes before serving.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Variations:
- Orange Zest Twist: Add a teaspoon of orange zest to the sweet potato filling for a citrusy pop.
- Savory Herb Variation: Skip the sugar and spices in the filling. Add savory herbs like rosemary or thyme and minced garlic for a unique, savory twist.
- Nut-Free Crumble: Replace the pecans in the pecan crumble topping with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for a nut-free version.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Storage Tips:
Storing: Leftover vegan sweet potato casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing: Freeze for up to 3 months. To freeze, let the casserole cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container.
Thawing: To thaw, remove the casserole from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheating: To reheat vegan sweet potato casserole, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the casserole in a baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated. You can also reheat the casserole in the microwave on medium power.
Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe FAQs:
When it is done baking, the casserole will be golden brown, with the dish being firm in the center. If it is not set, try baking it for a few minutes longer.
Add a little bit of flour to the sweet potato mixture if you need to thicken the mixture.
Be sure to completely drain the sweet potatoes before mashing them. Any excess liquid can result in a watery casserole.
More Vegan Recipes:
- Baked Pumpkin
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Eggplant Dip
- Simple Guacamole Recipe
- Fall Spinach Salad
- Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic and Mint
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Pumpkin Lentil Soup
Love it? Save the recipe for later!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup oat milk unsweetened
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 5 ounces vegan marshmallows
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans optional
PECAN CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup liquid coconut oil
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
- Move oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
BOIL SWEET POTATOES:
- Boil sweet potatoes on the stove until fork tender about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and return them to the pot.
MAKE SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- Add in coconut oil, apple sauce, oat milk, black pepper, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and sugar. Mash until all chunks of sweet potato are gone.
FOR MARSHMALLOW TOPPING:
- If making the casserole with marshmallow topping, spoon the sweet potato mixture into the prepared 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and preheat the broiler.
- Layer marshmallows on top of the casserole.
- Broil until the tops of the marshmallow are golden brown.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top, optional.
FOR PECAN CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture in the prepared 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Make the pecan topping in a small bowl by mixing together pecans, flour, sugar and oil.
- Mix until a crumble forms.
- Evenly distribute the topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.