The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Breakfast Tacos have fluffy scrambled eggs, spicy chorizo, avocado, tomatoes, and tangy cilantro-lime onions.
It costs approximately $5.43 to make these tacos. The recipe makes six servings for about $0.90 per serving.
These Breakfast Tacos are the ultimate breakfast food. They are both satisfying and filling.
My recipe takes Breakfast Tacos up a notch by adding delicious Pickled Cilantro Lime Onions to the mix. I also give tips for toasting the perfect tortilla and creating the best Breakfast Tacos.
What You’ll Love About Breakfast Tacos
- Customizable: Feed even the pickiest of eaters with these breakfast tacos. You can leave off various ingredients according to your preferences or add other ingredients as desired.
- Start the day off right: These Breakfast Tacos are a filling start to your day. Feed them to your kids to energize them for school and for you to get breakfast through your morning, too.
- Flavorful: You will love the range of satisfying flavors in these tacos. The savory chorizo, fluffy eggs, and fresh veggies are a flavor explosion in every bite.
Breakfast Tacos Ingredients and Estimated Cost
- 1 medium red onion – $1.18
- 2 tablespoons vinegar – $0.04
- 2 tablespoons lime juice – $0.06
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro – $0.10
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.01
- 4 tablespoons water – $0.00
- 5 eggs – $2.15
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – $0.14
- 2-3-inch piece of chorizo – $0.26
- 6 corn tortillas – $0.36
- 1 tomato – $0.91
- ¼ avocado – $0.21
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in August 2023.
How To Make Breakfast Tacos
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, break apart the sliced red onions in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chopped cilantro, kosher salt, and water.
- Using your hand, toss the onions for about one minute. Set the bowl aside.
- Next, whisk the eggs, non-dairy milk, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and then add the chorizo and fry for thirty seconds.
- Stir in the eggs, stirring gently, until fluffy lumps appear.
- Finally, fill each charred tortilla with chorizo eggs, cilantro-lime quick-pickled onions, tomatoes, and creamy avocado before serving.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- For the Cilantro-Lime Pickled Onions, you can use white or yellow onions if red onions are not available.
- You can use vegan chorizo and an egg substitute like tofu scramble for a vegan option.
- Swap corn tortillas with flour or gluten-free tortillas for a different texture and taste.
- Add toppings like salsa, vegan cheese, and fresh herbs to enhance the breakfast tacos.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: Serve these breakfast tacos immediately after assembling them for the best taste and texture.
STORE: For short-term storage, refrigerate any leftover tacos in an airtight container, separating the components like tortillas and toppings to maintain their textures. Consume within 1-2 days for optimal freshness.
FREEZE: If freezing, assemble the tacos without avocado, as their texture may change. Wrap each taco in parchment paper or plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to one month.
THAW: When ready to enjoy the frozen tacos, transfer them to the refrigerator overnight to thaw gradually. Avoid using a microwave for thawing, as it can make the tortillas soggy.
REHEAT: To reheat, gently warm the assembled tacos in a dry skillet over medium-low heat for a few minutes on each side until heated. Alternatively, you can warm the components separately – reheat eggs in a skillet and warm tortillas in a dry pan or microwave – then assemble with fresh toppings for a delicious breakfast.
Breakfast Taco Recipe FAQs
Absolutely, and I highly recommend it! Making tacos for breakfast is pretty quick. It’s a favorite fast food in my home, for sure. Heat some tortillas, scrambled eggs, and the different types of taco toppers are endless.
My recipe for delicious breakfast tacos has eggs, quick-pickled cilantro-lime onions, chorizo, tomatoes, and avocados.
I recommend fresh fruit and Easy Baked Breakfast Potatoes.
Tips for toasting tortillas
There are many ways to give that pretty charred color and crispy sturdiness to tortillas. Use a high flame with one of these heating tools:
- Cast-iron pan
- Directly on the flame of a gas-rang stove
- Non-stick pan
- Comal / Tortilla Skillet
After heating each one, I wrap them in a cozy kitchen towel. This will help keep them warm and prevent sogginess due to condensation.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
- Almond Flour Pancakes
- Date Shake
- Yogurt Muffins with Rosemary
- Mediterranean Egg Sandwich
- Easy Baked Breakfast Potatoes
- Apple Pancakes with Cinnamon Maple Syrup
- Overnight Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Greek Yogurt Chia Parfait with Strawberry Applesauce
For the cilantro-lime pickled onions
- 1 medium red onion sliced into thin circles
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice about 1 lime
- ¼ tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp kosher salt not iodized
- 4 tbsp water
For the chorizo eggs:
- 5 eggs whisked
- A splash of non-dairy milk of choice
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of olive oil or non-dairy butter
- 2-3 inch piece of chorizo or 2-3 tbsp of the crumbles
- 6 corn tortillas roasted
- 1 tomato diced
- ¼ avocado diced
Quick-pickled cilantro-lime onions:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sliced red onions.
- Break them apart, creating single circles.
- Add the vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chopped cilantro, kosher salt, and water when ready.
- Get your hand into that bowl. Don't be shy. Grab the onions, gently squeeze them, and toss for about a minute or so. The onions should be wilted yet still have that perfect crunch.
- Set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, we will cook the eggs.
Cook the chorizo eggs:
- Add the eggs, non-dairy milk, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk until homogenized and fluffy.
- Put a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Drizzle in olive oil.
- Add the chorizo and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the eggs and gently stir around the eggs creating large fluffy lumps.
- Try to avoid breaking up the clumps.
Putting it all together:
- Grab the charred tortillas and fill each one with chorizo eggs, followed by the cilantro-lime quick- pickled onions, diced tomatoes, and diced creamy avocado.
- Eat them immediately.