The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
The best-ever, amazing breakfast tacos with soft scrambled eggs cooked with spicy chorizo— topped with creamy avocado, small diced tomatoes, and quick-pickled cilantro-lime onions. Wow, that was a mouthful. Guess what else? It’s completely pork-free and dairy-free.
By the way, how many tacos can you eat? I can easily knock-back 4 chubby tocos. Ok, let’s talk about this recipe.
Can you eat tacos for breakfast?
Absolutely, and I highly recommend it! Making tacos for breakfast is actually pretty quick. It’s a favorite fast-food in my home for sure. Heat-up some tortillas, scramble some eggs, and the different types of taco-toppers are endless.
How to make perfect scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos?
Here is what I have learned over the years.
1.) Season the eggs with salt and pepper before whisking. This will ensure even distribution of seasonings.
2.) Add a splash of cold milk or non-dairy milk of choice when you add the salt and pepper. This will actually help make fulfiller eggs.
3.) Whisk well. The end result should be a pale orange/yellow color with minimal globs of unbeaten egg whites within.
4.) Use a non-stick pan. This is not the time to use a cast-iron skillet.
5.) The most important tip of them all— cook on low heat. If your eggs start to get brown marks on them, the heat is too high.
Furthermore, I like to drizzle in a little olive oil or butter to the pan to really prevent the eggs from sticking to the bottom. Finally, aim for large fluffy lumps of eggs—none of those small pieces.
Tips for toasting tortillas
There are many ways to give that pretty charred color and crispy sturdiness to tortillas. Use a high flame with one of these heating tools:
- Cast-iron pan
- Directly on the flame of a gas-rang stove
- Non-stick pan
- Comal / Tortilla Skillet
After heating each one, I like to wrap them up in a cozy kitchen towel. This will help keep them warm and prevent sogginess due to condensation.
What’s in the Quick Pickled Cilantro Lime Onions for Breakfast Tacos?
You are going to love how easy it is to make these quick-pickled onions. Another key point, you can find all of the ingredients at your local grocery store. Here are the essentials:
Red onion — red onions add color, a bit of spiciness, and that perfect crunch factor.
Vinegar — will be the the “pickling” agent.
Lime — adds a squirt of freshness.
Cilantro — the perfect Mexican herb of choice. If you don’t like cilantro, use parsley.
Garlic — yum! this is the spice of choice. Use either 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 large minced garlic clove.
Simple enough. When making these pickled onions, I like to treat it a little bit like kimchi—in the method of hand-massaging. Get your hands into that bowl filled of onions, squeeze gently until they have softened yet still contain that perfect amount of crunch.
You May Also Like
The Best Easy Tangy Citrus Pollo Asado
Best Ever Pico De Gallo (no cilantro) with tips!
Simple Guacamole Recipe (with tips!)
I use pork-free (it’s vegan) chorizo for this recipe. Are you ready? Let’s make Amazing Breakfast Tacos with Quick Pickled Cilantro Lime Onions!
For the cilantro-lime pickled onions
- 1 medium red onion sliced into thin circles
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice about 1 lime
- ¼ tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp kosher salt not iodized
- 4 tbsp water
For the chorizo eggs:
- 5 eggs whisked
- A splash of non-dairy milk of choice
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of olive oil or non-dairy butter
- 2-3 inch piece of chorizo or 2-3 tbsp of the crumbles
- 6 corn tortillas roasted
- 1 tomato diced
- ¼ avocado diced
Quick-pickled cilantro-lime onions
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sliced red onions. Break them apart creating single circles. When ready, add the vinegar, lime juice, garlic, chopped cilantro, kosher salt, and water.
- Get your hand into that bowl. Don't be shy. Grab the onions, give a gentle squeeze, and toss for about a good minutes or so. The onions should be wilted yet still have that perfect crunch. Set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, we will cook the eggs.
Cook the chorizo eggs
- In a mixing bowl, add in the eggs, non-dairy milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until homogenized and fluffy. Put a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Drizzle in olive oil. Add the chorizo and fry for about 30 seconds. Pour in the shocked eggs and gently stir around the eggs creating large fluffy lumps. Try to avoid breaking up the lumps. When ready, let’s put it all together.
Putting it all together
- Grab the charred tortillas and fill each one with chorizo eggs, followed by the cilantro-lime quick- pickled onions, diced tomatoes, and diced creamy avocado.
- Eat them immediately. Don’t forget to share!
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @PoshPlateRecipes on Instagram for more!
Save on Pinterest for later!
Leave A Reply!