This is by far the best vegetarian side dish that you can bring to the table. Roasted Delicata Squash that is seasoned with parmesan cheese, smoked paprika and dried basil. Then, it’s roasted until golden and crispy. It’s finger-licking good, friends!
What is delicata squash?
Pronounced [dehl-ih-KAH-taj] is also known as a sweet potato squash. It’s a sweeter variety with light yellow skin and green lines vertically across its oblong shape.
What does delicata squash taste like? You are in for a treat. It tastes like a cross between sweet potatoes and butternut squash. They are addictingly delicious.
Thanksgiving is on its way. Because of the pandemic, I’ll most likely have a cozy get together with just my intermediate family. Yup, just us four.
Maybe this year I’ll cook a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Perhaps, I’ll serve these delicious roasted delicata squash alongside it. 😍 Maybe a simple salad, and another side dish. That will complete us.
If you have been wanting to try delicata squash for the first time, I highly recommend roasting it. When it’s roasted, you can really taste its natural sweetness. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you. Let’s talk about the ingredients you will need.
Ingredients you will need
|Delicata Squash||Guess what? You can roast the delicata with the skin on! That’s right. It’s not like butternut squash or acorn squash—it’s more tender. Wash the skin well and remove the seeds.|
|Parmesan Cheese||I always use freshly grated, rennet-free, vegetarian parmesan cheese. Feel free to use what you can find.|
|Smoked Paprika||Adds a nice smokey flavor.|
|Dried Basil||Is aromatic and will be the herb of choice.|
|Other Essential Ingredients||Salt, pepper, and olive oil.|
Please note delicata squash ranges in size. Furthermore, when sliced, each one will yield a different amount of pieces. Because of this, the parmesan cheese and seasoning to coat each squash is merely an estimate.
If you find out that you have run out, simply make more with the spice-to-cheese ratio in mind.
Can you eat delicata squash skin?
Absolutely, once roasted, the skin becomes really soft and tender. You can barely tell that you are even eating the skin that’s how tender it is.
What to serve with delicata squash?
Serve alongside your favorite poultry dishes, vegetarian meals, or snack on them on their own.
How to roast delicata squash?
Slice the delicata in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Keep whole or cut it into circle shapes or half-moons. When ready, drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper all over. Roast according to the size and shape of the squash. Once roasted, enjoy as-is.
- Sautéed Brussel Sprouts Recipe (with crispy bits of turkey)
- Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Cilantro
- German Chocolate Cake Dessert Truffles
Read the recipe from start to finish. You will better understand the flow of the recipe and identify any unfamiliar words or methods.
Shop for the ingredients beforehand. When you shop ahead, you are less likely to swap out ingredients for what you don’t have, thus creating a complete recipe fail!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a comment below and an honest rating. ♡
- 2 delicata squash washed, deseeded, and sliced into moon-shapes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
For the coating
- 2 ½ cups freshly grated parmesan cheese loosely packed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Add the sliced delicata to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to fully coat each wedge of squash. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, and dried basil leaves. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Place each wedge of delicata into the seasoned parmesan cheese mixture. Coat each piece with the cheese, then directly place it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat. Continue the process until there are no more pieces to coat left.
- Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy right away as a side dish or a healthy snack.