The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe is a low-carb and gluten-free dish. The finely chopped vegetables, eggs, and seasonings mimic the flavors and textures of traditional fried rice.
This recipe costs approximately $5.24 to make. It makes four servings for around $1.31 per serving.
This dish combines essential ingredients to create a delicious and healthy side dish. It will complement most entrees, which makes Cauliflower Fried Rice a winning choice for most weeknight dinners.
You can quickly turn this into a main dish by adding chicken, tofu, or shrimp to the cauliflower fried rice.
What You’ll Love About Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Healthy Choice: Make this Cauliflower Fried Rice over traditional fried rice. It is lower in calories and carbs without skipping out on taste.
- Nutrient-rich Ingredients: This dish is full of veggies and healthy ingredients that provide a plethora of minerals, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants that are all beneficial to your diet.
- Versatile: Cauliflower Fried Rice can be served alongside most proteins and tailored to specific diets, such as Gluten-Free.
- Simple Preparation: Follow my directions for step-by-step instructions to make this dish. The recipe is easy to follow and simple to make.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost:
- 2 tbsp olive oil – $0.28
- 2 eggs – $0.86
- ¾ cup chopped red onion – $1.32
- 2 cloves garlic – $0.08
- 1 teaspoon ginger – $0.01
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce – $0.05
- 12 oz frozen riced cauliflower – $2.17
- ½ cup frozen peas – $0.21
- ½ cup chopped carrots – $0.15
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper – $0.10
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the prices for this recipe in August 2023.
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
- ***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Then, add in the whisked eggs and fry until a soft scramble. Put the eggs on a plate when finished.
- Next, add more olive oil and the onion, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Fry until the onions are soft and mix in the soy sauce.
- Then, add the peas, carrots, cauliflower and stir-fry on high heat for four to five minutes.
- Finally, stir in the scrambled egg and cilantro, followed by fresh lime juice before serving.
You can cut cauliflower into cauliflower rice a few different ways:
- You can cut the cauliflower into fourths, then grate it along a box cheese grater.
- The florets can be thrown into a food processor with the grater blade.
- It can be store-bought. Usually, it’s located in the freezer section of your grocery store.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Protein Additions: Add cooked shrimp, diced chicken, or tofu for added protein and variety.
- Veggie Mix: Include a variety of vegetables like bell peppers, snap peas, carrots, and broccoli for a colorful and nutritious twist.
- Nutty Crunch: Mix in chopped cashews, almonds, or peanuts for a satisfying crunch and nutty flavor.
- Pineapple Twist: Incorporate diced pineapple for a sweet and savory flavor combination.
- Egg Substitute: For a vegan version, use scrambled tofu or chickpea scramble instead of eggs.
Fried Cauliflower Rice Storage and Serving Tips
Serve: Serve cauliflower rice as a delicious and nutritious side dish alongside your favorite protein, or use it as a base for stir-fries, curries, or Buddha bowls.
Store: Allow it to cool to room temperature and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for 3-4 days to maintain its freshness and texture.
Freeze: If you have excess cauliflower rice, you can freeze it by placing portions in freezer-safe bags or containers. Press out excess air to prevent freezer burn. It can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Thaw: Transfer the rice to the refrigerator and let it thaw slowly overnight. Avoid thawing at room temperature to maintain its texture and prevent moisture buildup.
Reheat: To reheat cauliflower rice, gently warm it in a skillet with a little bit of oil or the microwave until heated through. Add a splash of water to the skillet to prevent sticking and maintain moisture. Avoid overcooking to prevent the rice from becoming mushy.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe FAQs
It is possible that the dish was left on the stove with the heat on for too long. Leaving the Cauliflower Fried Rice on the stove for too long can result in steaming the rice, which leaves it soft and soggy.
Yes! This is a healthier option than traditional fried rice and has healthy benefits. For the total nutritional value of this Cauliflower Fried Rice, see the information at the bottom of the recipe card.
Cauliflower rice, like this Cauliflower Fried Rice, is an excellent substitute for regular white and fried rice. Both offer a healthier substitution in your diet.
More Gluten-Free Sides
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Spinach Caprese Salad
- Buckwheat Salad
- Roasted Delicata Squash
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Cucumber and Avocado Salad
- Mediterranean Marinated Tomatoes
- Roasted Carrot Fries
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided *
- 2 eggs whisked
- ¾ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 2-3 dashes of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 12 oz frozen riced cauliflower about 3 ½ cups
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 Lime
- Jalapeno slices
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in the olive oil. Next, add in the whisked eggs and fry until a soft scramble. When ready, place the scrambled eggs on a plate and set aside.
- Next, in the same pan over medium-high heat, add another tbsp or so of olive oil. Then, add the onion, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Fry until the onions have softened and the edges have browned. Then add the soy sauce to deglaze the pan. Mix and stir.
- When ready, add the peas, carrots, and cauliflower. Now that the pan is crowded. Stir-fry all of the vegetables on high heat. This will prevent a wet and steamed consistency. Cook for 4-5 minutes, frying and mixing back and forth with your handy spatula. Do not abandon your pan. Keep stir-frying.
- Finally, add in the scrambled egg, and freshly chopped cilantro. Stir-fry to combine. Taste to just the seasonings, adding additional salt if needed.
- Squeeze lime all over the rice (optional).
- Enjoy while it’s hot.